Are you passionate about cooking?
Do you want to take your skills to the next level?
If so, then you need to master basic cooking skills.
Every budding chef must master some basic cooking skills before they can hope to become a master chef.
Here are 8 basic cooking skills that every budding chef should know:
- Knife Skills:
One of the most important cooking skills is to know how to use a knife properly.The following are mentioned some of the most important knife skills every budding chef should master:
- Slicing: –Slice food items thinly and evenly for consistent cooking and presentation.
- Dicing: –Dice food items into small, uniform pieces.
- Julienne: – Julienne food items into thin strips.
- Chopping: – Chop food items into larger pieces.
- Mincing: –Mince food items into very fine pieces.
- Debon: –Remove bones from meat and poultry.
- Fillet: –Cut fish fillets from the bone.
- Carving: –Carve the meat, poultry, and fish into serving-sized pieces.
By mastering these basic knife skills, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a successful chef.
- Cooking Techniques:
There are various cooking techniques that every budding chef should know, such as:
- Seasoning: –One of the keys to great cooking is proper seasoning. Experiment with different herbs and spices to find your dishes’ flavour combinations.
- Proper Cooking Temperatures: –Ensure you know the proper cooking temperatures for different meats and vegetables. This will help you avoid under-or overcooking your food.
- Basic Cooking Methods: –Familiarize yourself with different cooking methods, such as frying, sautéing, and baking.
- Meal Planning: –Planning can make cooking a lot easier. Create a weekly grocery list and menu, so you know what you need to cook and when.
- Time Management: –Learning to cook quickly and efficiently is a valuable skill. If you’re short on time, try batch cooking or cooking simple recipes.
- Organization: –Keeping your kitchen organized will make cooking much less stressful. Make sure you have a system for storing your pots, pans, and groceries.
- Food Safety:
Food safety is a huge concern for everyone, especially for those new to cooking. Knowing how to handle and prepare food safely is important to avoid contamination and foodborne illnesses. However, there are some cooking skills that every budding chef must know to create safe, delicious meals.
- Always choose fresh ingredients: –This may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s important to ensure that all of your ingredients are fresh before you start cooking. Use fresh fruits and vegetables, and try to get your meat from a reputable source.
- Keep everything clean: –Make sure your hands, utensils, and surfaces are clean before you start cooking. This will help to prevent the spread of bacteria.
- Cook meat thoroughly: –Undercooked meat can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Ensure to cook meat until it is well done to keep your diners safe.
- Avoid cross-contamination: –Keep raw meat and cooked meat separate to avoid cross-contamination. This means using separate cutting boards and cooking meat in batches if necessary.
- Use proper food storage techniques:– Bacteria can grow quickly in warm, moist conditions. Store food properly to prevent bacteria from multiplying.
- Reheat food properly: –Just as you need to cook food thoroughly, you need to reheat it properly. Bring food back to a safe temperature to kill any bacteria that may have been introduced during storage.
- Avoid food poisoning: –There are a few things you can do to avoid food poisoning, including cooking food properly, storing it properly, and avoiding cross-contamination.
- Understanding Ingredients:
If you’re new to cooking, understanding ingredients is essential to success in the kitchen. So here are some cooking skills every budding chef must know:
- How to read a recipe: –This may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s important to understand how to read a recipe before you start cooking. Pay attention to the ingredients list, the instructions, and the cooking time.
- How to measure ingredients: –Accurate measuring is key to successful cooking. Use measuring cups and spoons to measure liquids and solids, respectively.
- How to chop vegetables: –Chopping vegetables is a basic cooking skill that is essential for many recipes. Use a sharp knife and a cutting board to chop vegetables into uniform pieces.
- How to sauté: –Sautéing is a cooking technique that involves cooking food in a pan over medium-high heat. Use a little oil or butter to coat the pan, and be sure to cook the food evenly.
- How to boil water: –Boiling water is a basic cooking skill that is used for many recipes. Bring water to a boil by heating it in a pot over high heat.
- How to make a simple sauce: –A sauce can make or break a dish. To make a simple sauce, start with a pan over medium heat. Add some butter or oil, and then add your desired seasonings. Once the sauce is to your liking, add some flour to thicken it up.
- How to bake: –Baking is a cooking technique that involves cooking food in an oven. Be sure to follow the recipe instructions, and pay attention to the cooking time.
- Menu Planning:As budding chef, one of the most important skills you can learn is menu planning. Chefs need to be able to plan menus that are both appetizing and cost-effective. There are a few reasons that show why menu planning is a must:
- It can help you save time and money.
- Menu planning can help create a more enjoyable dining experience for your guests.
- Menu planning is a great way to showcase your creativity.
So if you’re a budding chef, be sure to brush up on your menu planning skills. It can help you out in the long run.
- Food Presentation:As a budding chef, you will want to make sure that your food is delicious and looks amazing. After all, we eat with our eyes first. Following, we have mentioned some food presentation skills that every budding chef must know to make their dishes look as good as they taste:
- Learning to chop vegetables properly is a must because it ensures that your vegetables will cook evenly.
- Arrange your food on the plate in an artful way.
- Another presentation tip is to use garnishes. This can make your dish pop and give it that extra flavour.
- Make sure your food looks great and colourful. Try to use a variety of colours in your dishes so that they are visually appealing.
- One final presentation tip is to use unique serving dishes. This can really make your dish stand out and give it a more sophisticated look.
- Kitchen Management:
For any budding chef, learning proper kitchen management is a must. Without it, the kitchen can quickly become a chaotic and dangerous place. With proper kitchen management, a chef can ensure that-
- The kitchen runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Keeping the kitchen clean and organized, knowing where everything is, and having a system in place for food preparation and service.
- This makes the chef’s job easier, but it will also improve the guests’ dining experience.
- Customer Service:
As a chef, you will be dealing with customers on a daily basis. Therefore, it is important to deal with them professionally and in a friendly manner.
Hopefully, you have got all the information you are looking for regarding the cooking skills every budding chef must know. On the internet, you will get numerous options from where you can learn cooking or culinary skills. But, to make it easier for you, we can suggest the platform options that will surely work best for you.
The platform we are talking about is ‘Theilearning.’ You will never find a one-stop learning platform like I-learning. You can get courses like Certificate in culinary skills, Certificate in continental, Certificate in Indian, Certificate in bakery, Communication skills, etc. The best thing about ‘I-learning’ is that it is an online platform of NFCI, renowned and well-reputed hotel management and culinary institute in India. Here, with the videos and recipes, learning culinary and cooking skills online is much easier than you might think and that too at a reasonable price. Also, the Certificate you will get is valid from international or national bodies.
‘Theilearning’ is all about learning, and they are dedicated to providing you with the best online resources.